IMPORTANT! Optimized for Firefox and Google Chrome. You may not be visualizing the entire blog if you are using Internet Explorer.
Feel free to send your ideas to my email: mariazabalapena@gmail.com / englishforeso@yahoo.es. To use the lesson plans in my blog, you do NOT need photocopies for students. You MAY need to print instructions or to use a projector and/or a computer.

For ESL VOCATIONAL TRAINING LESSON PLANS go to my other blog HERE
Browse LABELS to the right, underneath to find prompts and tasks.New!! VIDEO BLOGS on English for Communications and on English for Office Applications (Computers). See links below.

* English for Communications. Click HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña

* English for Office Applications (Computers :Word 2007 and more). Click HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Create an -ation poem

Students add stanzas to the famous  ATIONS poem, by Shel Silverstain.

You will need:

  • To show students some or all of the stanzas of the ATIONS POEM below.
  • To ask or provide the students with some words ending in -ation.
  1. For this go to google and write: words that finish in ation
  2. Pick the words that suit your needs.
I suggest these but there are loads: abbreviation,  acclamation, conversation, asphyxiation, humiliation, inspiration, ovation, peregrination, popularization, meditation, organization, socialization, simplification etc.

The sentences can vary from very easy to more difficult sentences, depending on the level of your students

Examples:
If we check the lock too many times
This is overcaution

If we are always scared
This is overcaution

See below, after the poem, some of my students contributions


This  is the poem

These are some of the proposals of my 2014-15 class  
Attention: Students have added these stanzas. They are posted  EXACTLY as the students entered them.


If we walk along st. Jack's way
that's a peregrination.
If we go to the Tibet
that is meditation.
If we go to a wedding
that is a celebration.
If my name is Pedro And you call me Pe
That's an abbreviation
If we love each other very much
That's a relation
If we decorate home
That's an organization
If we give important news
That's  information
If we chat someone
That's conversation
if I don´t speak to you
That´s meditation
if today I´am speaking
That´s inpiration


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Not to many people in your position are so gracious. Your article was very poignant and understandable. It helped me to understand very clearly. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous said...

It looks to be a good game and I'm going to try it. However, I'm going to have to be a nit-picker about the examples in the instructions. Some of the words you list have a letter other than "a" before "tion" (e.g., incaution, abolition, digestion) or do not fit your instructions at all (ascension).
Brenda

María Zabala Peña said...

Brenda nitpicker!
You are right!! Thanks for the comment. I have just erased the the non-ation words and added some -ation ones.

Thanks again!
Hope your students enjoyed the task